Oct 17, 2009

WHILE THE CAT'S AWAY

I survived my first week of what may become a grueling new job. Woo! The boss was out of the office for most of the week, leaving me with a lot of work to do, but a lot of freedom to make mistakes without feeling too stoooopid. Even a resident mouse took advantage of his absence and did a quick lap around the office. I just have to get used to work phone calls coming in at 6:30 am, texts in the middle of the night. No big deal, right? Just ask the bags under my eyes.

Hollywood would reject my resume had I gone to Chattahoochee Valley Community College, but I'm convinced I'd be able to do my job just as well with their education. If I could adjust my grad school curriculum to more accurately reflect the job skills needed for the positions we realistically get, I would add important classes in:
Conference Calls
Call Rolling
Dish Washing
Scheduling
Email Forwarding

Sounds like a trade school infomercial!

WHY DO WE SPEND SO MUCH ON EDUCATION WHEN WE CAN LEARN HOW TO DO COFFEE RUNS IN HIGH SCHOOL?

I have to put all of this in perspective. There is a silver lining here. Yea though, I didn't expect my master's degree to set me back as far as it has, I currently have a pretty cool job. After a week, I've met some wonderful new people, learned a thing or two, and I even got a paycheck for my day of training! I really can't complain. I'll simply confess, as a child I looked down on housewives, thinking they were lazy people who chose not to explore their
full potential. Now I look at them and say, "lucky bi-otch!"

1 comment: